The cuisine of the Balkans transports us to lands of gluttony. We reproduce a host of recipes at home, including those for the cream cheese donuts that we share with you.
Ecaterina Paraschiv, the creator of the Ibrik Café and Ibrik Kitchen restaurants, shares her comforting family recipes with us through a cookbook, Ibrik my balkan cuisine. You can discover all the flavors of the Balkans there, a nice way to imagine yourself elsewhere. Failing to be able to sit behind his creations in his restaurants, we reproduce at home his culinary compositions, very rich and inspiring. The gourmet and appetizing dishes are sublimated by the talent of food photographer Emilie Franzo. The identity cuisine of Ecaterina Paraschiv is reflected in a mixture of terroir and modernity.
Among the 100 recipes in the book, we find the traditional moussaka, a polenta stuffed with fresh cheese accompanied by fresh cream, the Zacuscă a compote of cooked and grilled vegetables to spread on bread, eggplant caviar … delicious balkans links the border of East and West, from Greece to Hungary, and from Turkey to Moldova. There is something for all seasons!
To give you a taste of this extraordinary book, full of delicacies, we give you the recipe for fritters with fresh cheese. We challenge you to taste it!
FRESH CHEESE DONUTS
Ingredients (For 6 persons)
For the donuts:
-250 g of cream cheese (or ricotta)
-150 g of flour + a little for the hands
-5 g of baking powder
-The zest of 1 untreated lemon
-50 g of caster sugar
-1 liter of sunflower oil
-30 g of icing sugar
For the presentation:
-200 g of raspberry jam
-400 g of fresh cream
1. Donuts: Sift together the flour and baking powder over a bowl.
2. In another bowl, vigorously whisk the egg and the caster sugar, then add the cream cheese and the lemon zest. Then, using a spatula, incorporate the flour and baking powder. Mix until the dough is smooth, then cover with cling film and set aside in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
3. Flour your hands, then make small balls of dough 2 cm in diameter, placing them as you go on a dish covered with baking paper.
4. In a high-sided saucepan, heat the sunflower oil to 180 ° C. Gently dip the donuts into the hot oil using a skimmer and fry, 5 to 6 minutes, until golden brown.
5. In a bowl, pour the icing sugar and place each donut directly out of the oil bath on top. Shake the bowl to distribute the icing sugar over the donut.
6. Presentation: Place two spoonfuls of crème fraîche at the bottom of a bowl, place the donuts on top and coat generously with jam. Enjoy hot.
Ibrik, ma cuisine des balkans by Ecaterina Paraschiv and photographs by Emilie Franzo, published by Marabout, 25 euros.