Toyota Motor Europe (TME) today announces the sale of 715,081 Toyota and Lexus vehicles in the first three quarters of 2020, maintaining the momentum which saw its market share climb to 6.1%. While sales fell 15% over the same period last year, TME is outperforming a market that has plunged 25% due to the crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Demand remains strong for hybrid electric vehicles, with 372,893 units sold, or 52% of total sales. This figure is even higher in Western Europe, with over 63% of sales.
Over the specific period of Q3 (July-September 2020), the trend is even more marked, with sales of + 11.5% year-on-year. This result is explained by the arrival in September of the new Yaris, which smashes all the monthly sales records for Toyota models, with current demand that allows TME to increase its sales prospects for the year 2020. .
" Since production resumed in May, sales momentum for the Toyota and Lexus has picked up quickly, driven by strong demand across the entire lineup and the additional boost from the recent launch of the new Yaris. "
“Despite continuing uncertainties from the pandemic, we have increased our sales forecast by 975,000 vehicles for 2020, assuming current market conditions continue through the fourth quarter of this year. Many customers choose our hybrid models with low CO2 emissions and we are now diversifying our range of electric transmissions with the launch of our new RAV4 Plug-in hybrid, Lexus UX300 EV and Proace EV ”, says Matt Harrison, Executive Vice President of Toyota Motor Europe (TME).
Model brands and performance
Corolla, Yaris and RAV4, the bestsellers of Toyota, made up 57% of the brand's 664,157 total sales in the first 9 months of 2020. Toyota's sales therefore withstood the sharp market contraction during the second quarter, with a drop of 14% just for the second quarter. period from January to September 2020. Hybrid sales represented 61% in Western Europe, 23% in Eastern Europe and 51% at a regional level.
Lexus sold 50,924 vehicles between the beginning of the year and the month of September, noting a decrease of 20%, but much less than that received by the global market. The brand's bestsellers include SUVs, RX, NX and UX, which account for 75% of sales. Hybrid sales represent 64% of the total regional mix and 99% of the latter in Western Europe.
The key figures of TME between January and September 2020:
• Total sales: 715,081 (-15% year-on-year)
• Market share: 6.1% (+0.8 ppt year-on-year)
• Total hybrid sales: 372,893 (-14.5% year-on-year)
• Hybrid mix: Western Europe: 63% – Eastern Europe *: 21% – TTL: 52%
Toyota's key figures between January and September 2020:
• Toyota sales: 664,157 (-14% year-on-year)
• Bestsellers: Corolla range (138,337); Yaris (135,292); RAV4 (106,137)
• Best-selling hybrids: Corolla Hybrid range (107,598); Toyota C-HR Hybrid (81,637); Yaris Hybrid (66,340);
• Total hybrid sales: 340,226 (-13% year-on-year)
• Hybrid mix: Western Europe: 61% – Eastern Europe *: 23% – TTL: 51%
Lexus key figures between January and September 2020:
• Total Lexus sales: 50,924 (-20% year-on-year)
• Best sales: NX range (13,514); RX range (12,664); UX range (12,029)
• Best progress: GX range (+ 76%)
• Hybrid bestsellers: UX Hybrid (11,336); NX Hybrid (9,302); RX Hybrid (4,066);
• Total hybrid sales: 32,667 (-24% year-on-year)
• Hybrid mix: Western Europe: 99% – Eastern Europe *: 7% – TTL: 64%
|TOTAL TOYOTA / LEXUS||715 081|
|Yaris (Yaris Hybrid included)||135,292|
|Corolla H / B & Touring Sports (Hybrid included)||90,498|
|Corolla H / B & Touring Sports Hybrid||84 185|
|Toyota C-HR (Hybrid included)||87 311|
|Toyota C-HR Hybrid||81,637|
|Corolla SDN (Hybrid included)||47 839|
|Corolla SDN Hybrid||23,413|
|Prius Plug-in Hybrid||1 662|
|Camry (Camry Hybrid included)||33,374|
|Camry Hybrid||8 549|
|RAV4 (RAV4 Hybrid included)||106,137|
|CT 200h||3 133|
|IS (IS Hybrid included)||1,346|
|ES (ES Hybrid included)||4,271|
|LS (LS Hybrid included)||102|
|NX (NX Hybrid included)||13,514|
|UX (Hybrid UX included)||12,029|
|Hybrid UX||11 336|
|RX (RX Hybrid included)||12 664|
|RC (RC Hybrid included)||535|
|LC (Hybrid LC included)||180|
|Other models||2 457|
(1) Toyota Motor Europe covers all countries of Western, Central and Eastern Europe, including Turkey and Russia, a number of Central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Kazakhstan).
* Eastern Europe includes Russia, Kazakhstan, the Caucasus, Ukraine and Turkey.