Any trip, whether holiday or work, involves a change in our routine. Small details that for any person do not have to mean a substantial modification of their daily habits, but that in the case of diabetics it is essential to provide for avoiding subsequent complications. Today, diabetes is not a disabling disorder under normal conditions, but it is It is necessary to take precautions in case of transfers away from the usual place of residence so that we are not in a complicated situation.
All people who suffer from diabetes are perfectly aware of the extent of their disease and know how to act at all times. Depending on the type of diabetes you suffer, one or another type of insulin or measures may be necessary, so it is important talk to the doctor before any trip so that it is he who guides us around the action plan to apply.
In the case of transfers at short or medium distance and a short period of time, special measures would not be necessary beyond the usual routine, yes, it is essential to have a good medical coverage that allows us to face situations that are extraordinary or that need hospital care.
Basic Recommendations Guide
However, there are a number of recommendations that every person with diabetes should keep in mind before embarking on any type of trip:
- Before the trip It is advisable to consult the doctor to review the treatment guidelines, as well as to look for possible specialists in the place of destination. In this regard, it is essential to consider whether there will be a time difference at the destination, because this can confuse us around the usual doses.
- Detailed report: The patient must always carry a detailed report that specifies the type of diabetes he suffers, the treatment and the material he must carry. This is very useful for airport controls and if required by the relevant authorities.
- Material conservation: Transfers may affect the material needed for treatment. We should never carry it in the suitcase, but in hand luggage and in a portable refrigerator in case of traveling to places with hot climates.
- Extra material: It is important to carry spare parts in case some kind of unforeseen occurrence we did not have
- Food and exercise: trips alter eating habits and exercise routine, which can also affect when calculating the necessary insulin doses, which may be modified compared to the usual ones.