The Mercedes-Benz S-Class SUV has an imposing stature.
5 207 mm long, 1,956 mm wide and 1,823 mm high, the Mercedes-Benz GLS SUV offers a wheelbase of 3 135 mm.
The long wheelbase benefits thehabitability at the second row which can be folded down to clear a flat surface.
A variant to six seats is offered with two individual comfort seats with armrests on the second row.
The three rows of fully electric seats guarantee passengers maximum seating comfort.
The seats in the third row can accommodate people up to 1,94 meters tall andelectrically retract into the floor in favor of a trunk volume of up to 1470 liters (355 liters in seven seats and 890 liters in five seats).
The front of the GLS reveals an energetic personality, with a straight grille declined in an octagonal version, a chromed underbody protection in the front skirt with air grille shaped bone and a bonnet decorated with two bosses.
The GLS is equipped with Multibeam LED headlights with a total of 112 LEDs per headlight. The legally permitted maximum light intensity is delivered, the brightness of the LED three-segment high beam falling below the reference value of 1 Lux only to more than 650 meters distance.
Seen from behind, the GLS displays an athlete's morphology with muscular shoulders which stretch from the rear doors to the taillights and a chrome underbody protection.
The two-dimensional three-dimensional taillights are based on LED technology. The reflectors have been moved down so that the rear lights can be leveled. They are surmounted by a thin, continuous chrome strip.
The GLS is equipped with Airmatic air suspension system with adaptive damping adjustment. It adapts with the help of highly complex sensors and algorithms the characteristic curve of the shock absorbers in real time to the properties of the road and to the walking situation. The air suspension keeps the vehicle at a constant level regardless of the load.
The Active running gear E-Active Body Control 48-volt base offers high suspension comfort, agile handling and excellent off-road capability. The system regulates suspension and damping forces individually at each wheel to counteract roll movements, pitch and vertical movements.
In association with the Road Surface Scan system and the inclination function when cornering Curve, the E-Active Body Control undercarriage allows to reach a level of comfort of limousine.
GLS bends in turns to negotiate them practically without transversal forces according to a regulation on three levels. The camera continuously sweeps the surface of the roadway to allow the undercarriage to react anticipatively to the slightest undulations of the ground in order to erase them.
The 4Matic transmission Enables high agility on the road and optimized off-road performance.
The GLS is equipped with the latest generation of Mercedes-Benz driver assistance systems.
When'Active Distronic Distance Control Wizard with route-based speed matching is enabled, the GLS can identify traffic jams or heavy traffic very early using real-time LiveTraffic information and react to it before the driver becomes aware of this impediment to traffic. If the system detects a traffic jam (and if the driver does not actively change the behavior), the active Distronic reduces the speed of the vehicle preventively to about 100 km / h.
Based on the ground markings present, theactive congestion assistant can manage in a virtually autonomous way and with maximum availability the functions of maintaining the trajectory and the safety distance up to a speed of nearly 60 km / h in highway congestion. The vehicle can be restarted automatically up to one minute after it has stopped. Once the traffic jam has passed, the GLS accelerates again to the pre-set speed for the active Distronic Distance Control Assistant with speed matching based on the route. If signs indicate another value, the system automatically selects the displayed speed limit.
A trailer assistant facilitates maneuvering in reverse.
The S-Class SUV has an automatic car wash function. It makes it possible to prepare the GLS when it enters the washing station at the touch of a button.
The GLS treats all passengers, especially those in the rear. Comfort features include an MBUX rear entertainment system (two 11.6-inch touchscreens for watching movies, listening to music and surfing the Internet), a Rear Comfort Plus package (one tablet separate control for all the comfort and entertainment functions of the MBUX system from the rear), the electric adjustment of all seats, an Easy-Entry function for access to the third row and a facilitated lowering of the vehicle, the all rear seats can easily be folded down at the touch of a button, seat heating and separate USB charging ports (including the third row) and five-zone automatic climate control.
The interior design of the GLS is distinguished by a luxurious and elegant aesthetic. The central stylistic element of the dashboard is a display unit inserted in a dashboard with striking outlines.
Imposing by its width, the elevated center console generates a contrast between the robustness of its architecture and the lightness of the dashboard that seems to float in the air. The center console has two imposing handles.
The touchscreen of the MBUX infotainment system allows the control of all GLS comfort equipment from the driver's seat. The multifunction sports steering wheel has specific sculptural branches.
The GLS boasts a state-of-the-art Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX) infotainment system with two 12.3-inch / 31.2-cm serial screens. The information presented on the high-definition displays of the instrument cluster and the media display is easy to read.
The optional MBUX internal assistant can intuitively control various comfort and MBUX functions thanks to the recognition of certain movements. To do this, a camera housed in the roof control unit records the movements of the hands and arms of the driver and front passenger. When a hand approaches the touch screen or touchpad on the center console, the displays on the media screen change by highlighting certain items. The system is able to distinguish the driver's hand from the front passenger's hand.
The system also incorporates functions that can be controlled by simple movements of the hand. The reading spot can thus be switched on or off by bringing the hand closer to the interior rearview mirror.
The Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX) system anticipates the wishes of the user.
The GLS receives six- and eight-cylinder gasoline engines and six-cylinder diesel engines.
All gasoline models feature an alternator-starter and EQ Boost function
An electrically hybrid V8 petrol engine with 48-volt onboard and alternator-starter is announced on the GLS 580 4Matic. It delivers 489 hp and a torque of 700 Nm to which can be added punctually additional 250 Nm and 16 kW (22 hp) with the EQ Boost function. The integrated starter-alternator (ISG) supports hybrid functions such as the "EQ Boost" function or energy recovery and saves fuel.
The gasoline engine of the Mercedes-Benz GLS 450 4MATIC, a six-cylinder in-line with 48-volt technology, delivers 367 hp and torque of 500 Nm to which can be added punctually additional 250 Nm and 16 kW / 22 hp with the EQ Boost function.
The GLS 350 d 4MATIC diesel delivers 286 hp and 600 Nm.
The GLS 400 d 4MATIC diesel provides 330 hp and 700 Nm of torque between 1,200 and 3,200 rpm. The 330 hp diesel V6 drives the 2.490 kg GLS 400 d 4MATIC at a top speed of 238 km / h. Despite a pronounced overweight, the GLS achieved zero at 100 km / h in 6.3 seconds.
The driving force is transmitted by a 9G Tronic automatic transmission. The enlarged box opening between the one and nine gearboxes significantly reduces the speed and contributes to fuel efficiency and road comfort.
A transfer case with electronically controlled multi-disc clutch allows to modulate the distribution of the torque between the axles in a variable way in a ratio of 0 to 100% (Torque on Demand).
A specific transfer box developed for off-road use is listed in the options catalog.
Completely connected, the two transfer boxes with fully variable torque distribution function help to improve driving safety and vehicle agility when cornering.
Designed for the US and Chinese markets, the GLS is produced in Tuscaloosa (Alabama / USA).
The Mercedes-Benz GLS is marketed from 98,000 euros (400 d 4MATIC 9G-Tronic Executive).
Two finishes are in the catalog of the SUV limousine Mercedes: Executive and AMG Line.
The prices of the Mercedes-Benz GLS:
400 d 4MATIC 9G-Tronic Executive: 98 000 €
400 d 4MATIC 9G-Tronic AMG Line: € 102,500
The main standard equipment of the Mercedes-Benz GLS:
SECURITY AND DYNAMISM
• ABS (anti-lock wheels) and ASR (traction control)
• Knee airbag for the driver
• Side airbags for driver and front passenger
• Airbags for driver and front passenger
• Curtain airbags
• Active liner wizard
• Attention Assist: Sleepiness Detection System
• Blind spot alarm
• 9G-Tronic 9-speed automatic transmission with Direct Select selector lever and steering wheel control paddles
• Tire pressure control
• Electronic traction control (4ETS)
• Traffic sign detector
• ESP with dynamic cornering assistant
• Active emergency braking
• Tirefit anti-puncture kit
• Speed limiter downhill (DSR)
• Pre-Safe: system that mitigates risks in the event of an accident
• Parking Pack with Panoramic Cameras and Parktronic Park Assist
• Multibeam LED projectors
• Anti-theft protection package (anti-theft and anti-theft alarm, anti-lift protection, pre-equipment for notification in the event of parking damage)
• Tempomat (cruise control and speed limiter)
• Stabilization system in case of side wind
• Airmatic pneumatic suspension: active damping system and automatic seat cushioning
• 4MATIC permanently variable all-wheel drive Torque on Demand
COMFORT AND FUNCTIONALITY
• 9 USB Type C ports throughout the vehicle
• Folding center armrest with two built-in cupholders
• Digital Radio (DAB)
• Lockable and illuminated glove box
• Easy-Pack luggage cover
• 4-zone Thermotronic automatic climate control
• Power steering column and memory function
• Folding rear backrests on the 2nd and 3rd rows
• Dynamic Select with specific driving programs
• i-Size child seat attachment
• Keyless-Go Pack (keyless access and start) with Hands-Free Access (hands-free trunk opening)
• Easy-Pack tailgate with electric opening and closing
• Smartphone integration (Apple CarPlay and Android Auto)
• Magic Vision Control: heated wiper blades with integrated nozzles
• Mercedes me connect: Communication module (LTE), pre-equipment for Mercedes-Benz Link, vehicle tracking, vehicle settings, Mercedes-Benz emergency call system
• Hard disk navigation system with Live Traffic Information and Car-to-X communication. Free updates of map data and navigation services for 3 years
• Mirrors package: electrically folding exterior mirrors with memory function and proximity lighting with projection of the brand logo
• Touchpad touchpad on the center console
• Widescreen operator station with high-resolution 31.2 cm (12.3-inch) instrument cluster display and 31.2 cm (12.3-inch) high-resolution media display
• Pre-equipment for car-sharing (Free service for 3 years from activation)
• 12 V plug in the front and in the trunk
• Heated exterior mirrors with electric adjustment
• Power-adjustable front seats and memory function
• Heated driver and front passenger seats
• Seven places in series. Third row of electric seats with Easy-Entry assist function.
• Lumbar support (4 settings) driver and front passenger
• Wireless charging system and NFC phone connection
• MBUX multimedia system with Linguatronic (natural voice recognition, activated by "Hey Mercedes")
• Glass electric sunroof
• Sky ceiling in crystal gray fabric
• Ambience lighting with choice of 64 colors and 3 color zones
• LED interior lighting
• Black leather trim
• Brilliant anthracite linden decorative inserts
• Chrome interior package: control elements in silver chrome finish
• Artico leatherette dashboard upper section
• Velvet floor mats
• Multifunction Nappa leather steering wheel with Touch-Control buttons and touch-sensitive steering wheel paddles
• Threshold strips with monogram "Mercedes-Benz" at the front
• Calender with 2 chrome strips and SUV design
• Double boss engine hood
• Wheel arch covers in black tone
• Alloy wheels 48 cm (19 inches) with 6 double branches gloss black / natural shiny finish (36R)
• Chrome underride protection front and rear
• Chrome finish roof ramps
• Exhaust system with two chrome outlets
• Dark tinted windows and rear window
COMPLEMENTARY EQUIPMENT AT THE EXECUTIVE LINE
• AMG sports crankset in brushed stainless steel, with black rubber studs
• AMG velvet floor mats with "AMG" monogram
• Nappa leather multi-functional sport steering wheel with flat bottom and perforations in the grip area, Touch-Control buttons and touch-sensitive steering wheel paddles
• AMG alloy wheels 53 cm (21 inches) with 5 double branches in titanium gray / natural gloss (RWF) finish
• AMG body kit consisting of:
– Front and rear fender flares painted in body color
– AMG rocker panels painted in body color
– AMG rear skirt with black diffuser insert and chrome trim strip
– AMG front skirt with sporty and expressive design air intakes in wheel arch covers
• Sport braking system with perforated discs at the front and brake calipers with Mercedes-Benz logo