It is a recipe for feeding large tables, with family or friends. It is the work of Marianne Comolli, friend of Perla Servan-Schreiber, guest of the show The table of the good living with Laurent Mariotte on Europe 1, Saturday. The advantage of this “standing rice”? Ensure that the rice cooks perfectly without spending too much time in the stove on this side dish. “With this flavor, you will not be able to do without it”, explains the author. This rice can accompany all kinds of dishes: grilled meats, vegetables, curries, dishes in sauce. In fact, its name comes from the fact that the grains of rice must be so detached from each other that they could stand upright.
Perla Servan-Schreiber’s “standing rice”
Ingredients for 10 people
– 8 l of water
– 2 tbsp. to s. coarse salt
– 900 g of round grain Camargue rice, untreated (but not risotto rice)
– 100g of salted butter
The steps of the recipe
1. Boil 7 or 8 liters of water with 2 tablespoons of coarse salt in a large Dutch oven. Throw in the rice and cook for 12 minutes while maintaining the boil, without overflowing.
2. Then pour it into a large colander or 2 medium. Rinse it for a long time under cold water until it is complete.
3. Drain it perfectly for at least 15 minutes or several hours.
4. Before going to the table, melt the butter over low heat in the casserole dish and distribute the rice over the entire surface of the utensil. Allow 15 to 20 minutes for the steam to escape to the surface of the rice.
5. Serve it in a deep dish by sliding it delicately with a fork, gently scraping it to aerate it without crushing it.
6. Serve immediately or keep warm in the pan for a few minutes.