The Alfa Romeo Museum in Arese, Italy, has opened a new exhibition dedicated to a lesser-known and yet very important chapter in the history of the clover manufacturer: the many records and victories acquired on the water thanks to its powerful engines. .
This exhibition entitled “Cavalli Marini” (“sea horses”), brings together rare boats and speedboats powered by blocks designed and developed by Alfa Romeo, which have won dozens of world and European titles, coronations obtained in the Italian championship (nine in total) and no less than eleven world speed records.
It must be said that Alfa Romeo, whose car track record includes the first two world titles awarded in F1, eleven victories at the Mille Miglia and hundreds of victories in the sports and touring car category, used to between 1920 and 1980 also use in boats, the engines installed in these automobiles.
Thus for the first time, visitors to the Arese museum will be able to admire side by side, the Arno II competition speedboat built in the workshops of Picchiotti shipyards in Viareggio in 1946, and the Formula 1 engine that animated it and also propelled the single-seater Alfetta 158. An engine which allowed Alfa Romeo to secure its first victory in Formula 1 in 1950, and which before that gave it three world titles on the water, an Italian championship as well as several speed records .
Also on display at Arese are the Loustic 2 equipped with an LV-1300 unit powered by the 1,300cc unit of the Giulietta AR530, and which in 1964 won three world titles (in the 10 and 15 mile races), the Molinari-Alfa Romeo 2500 built for Team Agusta Fortunato Libanori (crowned world champion 1966), the "Dalla Pietà – Alfa Romeo" built for Luigi Raineri who won three European titles and two Italian championship titles between 1968 and 1970, or the "Molivio – Alfa Romeo GTA" driven by Leopoldo Casanova and powered by an Alfa Romeo Autodelta block. Between 1968 and 1972, this speedboat won one European title, four Italian titles, and set four world speed records in three different classes.
The “Cavalli Marini” exhibition is visible until February 21.