BMW F900XR, this is an important novelty for the German manufacturer, but also for the French market, since this novelty is inviting on a carrier niche, that of roadside, almost Sport-GT. With its new 895cc twin and double homologation for the A and A2 licenses, this BMW F900XR could be successful, to the detriment of its rivals!
In the XR family, give me the little sister! and here is the new BMW F900XR, directly derived from the project unveiled at the Villa d'Este last year and which represents, in a way, a two-cylinder version of the XR family at BMW which also counts the S1000XR. The latter is also deeply revised this year. This new BMW F900XR shares its engine and chassis platform with the new F900R roadster.
In short, we never dream at BMW to come and occupy all the most buoyant segments of the market. Road races, more or less sporty, like the Yamaha Tracer 700 and 900 or the Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom, are good sales in Europe and BMW has understood. The German manufacturer has developed this new base 900 cm3 to tickle the "boyfriends". So many ambitions, from a commercial point of view.
BMW F900XR: Here is a BMW potentially able to integrate the top ten of the market
The main points to remember:
- New base 900 cm3 derived from base 850 (F850GS)
- Cylinder capacity increased to 895 cm3, bore increased by 2 mm
- Bore x stroke: 86 x 77 mm
- Single engine timing: 90 ° crankshaft, 270/450 ° ignition
- Double balancing balancers to eliminate vibrations
- Power: 105 hp to 8,500 rpm
- Couple: 92 Nm to 6,500 rpm
- Double frame steel frame
- Inverted fork diam 43 mm
- Aluminum swingarm and mono shock absorber
- Braking with radial callipers
- Wheels / tires: 17 inches / 120/70 x 17 / 180/55 x 17
- Seat height: 825 mm (standard)
- Tank: 15,5 liters
- Weight all full facts announced: 219 kg
- Standard: ABS, ASC, road and rain driving modes, MSR (start and reverse assistance without skidding), power assisted clutch
- Optional and / or in packs: ABS Pro, DTC, Pro driving modes, shifter, ESA suspensions, cornering lighting, heated grips, etc.
With this engine, BMW hopes to seduce those who want a versatile bike. The rather bland character of the engine of the F850GS should be boosted by the singular engine timing. The double balancing balancers should chase the annoying vibrations.
The existence of the A2 version (95 hp and 47.5 hp flange), will fill the beginners.
The bike part is very clearly oriented road: 17-inch alloy wheels, front / rear travel of 170/172 mm.
As standard, the BMW F900XR already has the essential assistance, but, as always at BMW, the "little extras" that embellish the daily will be proposed à la carte or as packs, addable between them.
The points that will have to be tested on trial? the protection of the windshield that seems short, the sensation of weight with 219 kg announced, it is not anorexic either, the versatility and character of the engine, the reception of the passenger or if the bike is not too much plastic too … and finally the price of course.