Tradition obliges, for the Epiphany, gourmands gather around a galette des Rois! Frangipane, honey and almond, chocolate … Each year, the chefs reinvent this classic by offering ever more original pancakes. This is the case of Nina Metayer and her cake inspired by the stained glass windows of the Cathedral of Notre-Dame. The crowned best pastry chef of 2016 shares her delicious and original recipe. Between little secrets and tips, discover how to make a pretty galette des Rois without missing out on its cooking!
⋙ Epiphany 2020: our selection of the best galettes des rois
The pastry of the galette des Rois
- 300g T45 flour
- 200g T55 flour
- 235g cold water
- 50g melted butter
- 10g of salt
- 350g wafer butter
1. Place cold water, lukewarm melted butter and salt in a bowl, then gradually add them to the flour, mixing gently. Be careful not to work the dough too much, only 2 minutes are enough to obtain a homogeneous and fairly firm dough. Do not hesitate to add flour or water to obtain the desired consistency.
2. Make a square with the preparation. Let stand in the cold.
3. Roll out the dough to 1cm thick and enclose the butter inside.
4. Give a simple trick. Leave to cool, turn the dough a quarter of a turn and repeat the operation to give 5 simple turns.
5. Let sit several days cold.
⋙ How to make homemade puff pastry?
Galette des Rois: make the cinnamon pastry cream
- 350g milk
- 175g liquid cream
- 100g whole eggs
- 110g caster sugar
- 30g pastry cream powder
- 5g flour
- 15g butter
- 20g cinnamon stick
1. Make a dry caramel with the caster sugar. Add the cinnamon sticks and finish cooking the caramel with the cinnamon sticks. Deglaze with the milk and warm cream mixture. Leave to infuse for 15 minutes. Pass your preparation to Chinese and check the weight. 540g must be obtained if this is not the case, adjust and bring to the boil.
2. Mix the eggs with the flour and the cream powder. Pour the boiling mixture over it.
3. Turn everything over in a saucepan and cook for 1 minute per liter of milk.
4. Add the butter and let it cool quickly.
⋙ 3 tips for a successful caramel every time
Almond cream for the galette des Rois
- 125g butter
- 125g sugar
- 125g almond powder
- 75g eggs
- 2g cinnamon
1. Roast the almond powder with 1g of cinnamon.
2. Mix the butter, sugar and the other gram of cinnamon powder with a mixer.
3. Add the eggs and almond powder.
Galette des Rois: how to make frangipane?
- 400g almond cream
- 400g pastry cream
- 40g potato starch
- 1g of salt
- 30g roasted chopped almonds
1. Place 30g of roasted chopped almonds in the bottom of a 180mm pie circle.
2. Make the frangipane by mixing the ingredients. The whole should make 350g, then add the preparation in the pie circle.
3. Smooth everything before removing the circle. Store the preparation in the freezer for 2 hours.
⋙ Homemade frangipane: the secrets of success
The mounting of the wafer
Discover step by step in photo for mounting the cake. To personalize her pancake, the Chef, Nina Metayer, created a tile using a rosette mold and a cigar paste cooked at 170 ° C for 4 minutes before allowing it to cool in the fridge overnight.
Read also :
⋙ Galette des Rois for the Epiphany: 70 recipes to find the one you like
⋙ The galette des rois pistachio pistachio raspberry by Christophe Felder
⋙ Our galettes et cakes des rois sans frangipane pour l'Epiphanie