INDYCAR – Fernando Alonso, double Formula 1 champion looking for a prestigious victory at the Indianapolis 500 Miles, which will take place on August 23, said he was "confident in the competitiveness" of his McLaren during the presentation of the racing car, Tuesday.
Fernando Alonso is optimistic. The Spanish driver, who is still aiming for the 500 Miles of Indianapolis, believes more than ever in his McLaren. "I love the car and I think it will look even better on the circuit"said the Spaniard in a video posted on social networks."We had to wait longer than expected before revealing it, but at the same time it also means that the engines will soon be running. I am confident, this car will be competitive. The team has solid experience and good people", he added.
"I can't wait to get back in the car"
Dixon starts strong at Forth Worth, Pagenaud on a cadet podium
06/07/2020 At 07:21
If he manages to win the 500 Miles, whose title holder is the French Simon Pagenaud, Alonso, who will be 39 years old in July, would thus win the Triple Crown, which also consists of victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and at the Monaco Grand Prix. Only the British runner Graham Hill succeeded. Alonso won him at Le Mans in 2018 and 2019, in Monaco in 2006 and 2007.
"The signing of Alonso would risk causing a revolution at Renault"
Alonso led 27 laps in Indianapolis in 2017 before his engine failed at 21 laps. Last year, he was unable to qualify for the race. "I can't wait to get back in the car", he said again."The 500 is probably the biggest race in the world. I feel the passion of the fans that makes this event so incredible because I have a deep respect for this historic race and for all my opponents"The coronavirus pandemic forced the postponement of the 104th edition of the race initially scheduled for May 24. The organizers said they planned to welcome 50% of spectators in the stands with some 250,000 seats.
This time, let's go: After the false start, the IndyCar season starts in Texas