The way is a psychological horror game created by Bloober Team and released on PC, Xbox Series X and S.
Follow Marianne, the titled medium, when she is mysteriously summoned to the abandoned hotel Niwa. There, he must use his powers to uncover the hotel’s secret history and aid the spirits trapped in its lands.
Our Medium History Guide list everything missions you need to complete to help you identify exactly where you are in the game and give you an idea of what to do next. We’ve also included a list of tips to help you get the most from The Medium.
In this page:
How the medium’s story and quests are explained
The Medium is a linear game in which you have to complete a series of missions, which involve completing a series of objectives. These goals are tied to current locations that you can explore and tell you what to do next.
You will often have a main quest, for example “Say goodbye to Jack,” which is then broken down into several smaller objectives that will help you complete the main one. Once you’ve completed the general mission, you’ll move on to the next part of the story, often after watching a cutscene.
It’s important to note that there are sections of The Medium, especially in the second half of the game, that have no purpose. For this reason, we’ve included a little rundown of what to do in these situations to help you complete the game.
For more information, including an estimate of how long it will take you to complete The Medium, see our The Medium Length Guide.
Psychic History Guide and Quest List
Here you’ll find a complete list of all the missions you need to complete on The Medium in chronological order. Be sure to visit our Psychic Achievements page, so that you can get all the achievements during your game.
As mentioned above, the game doesn’t always tell you what to do next, especially in the second half, so we’ve filled in the gaps to help you out. You can also find links to other Medium guides on this list; Just be aware of the spoilers below.
Say goodbye to Jack
Escape the monster
- Follow the sadness
- Find a way to the living room
- Get the bolt cutters
- Enter the living room
Examine the living room
Free Richard from his demons
Find the red house
- Fight your way through the woods
- Follow the dog
- Investigate the camp
- Escape the monster
Find a path through the ruins
- Open the door
- Get rid of the monster
Find the red house
- Examine the tool shed
- Examine the burning house
Find a way to stop Henry
Investigate the Red House
Fight your way through the underground corridors
- Pump the water to clear the path
Examine the bunker
- Start the generator
- Find a new fuse
- Patch generator
- Find the missing mirror parts
Head to the lake
Medium tips and tricks
Here are some tips and tricks to complete Marianne’s journey on The Medium:
- Run when you can. Marianne walks quite slowly, so even if you’re not in danger, be sure to run.
- Remember to pay attention to both worlds. Marianne can move between the material and spiritual worlds, affecting both as she does so. If you ever find yourself stuck, it’s probably because you forgot to do something in one of these two worlds, so retrace your steps and carefully examine both versions of a room, until you found the solution.
- Keep track of Marianne’s level of spiritual power. You can follow Marianne’s power when she is in the Spirit World by looking at the white rings around her arm. These will slowly decrease when you use their abilities and increase when you recharge well in a spirit.
- Listen to the whispers. As you explore the Niwa Hotel you will find artifacts that have traces of people who once stayed there, manifested in shiny cuts in some items. When you are near one of these special items, you will be able to hear the whisperings of the spirits, so stay tuned.
- Wear headphones. As the game suggests, it’s a good idea to listen to headphones while playing The Medium, as it will help you hear the whispers of the spirits and even the footsteps of the mouths.
- Research each location thoroughly. Almost every place you visit on The Medium has an item you need or something that will give you a sense of the plot, so be sure to properly explore each room you visit.
- Examine all you can. There are many items for you to examine at the Niwa Hotel, and many are hiding small pieces of information that will help you both complete the game and uncover the whole story.
- Gather the notes, postcards and pictures. Hidden inside the Niwa Hotel and its gardens is a selection of documents that will give you clues as to what really happened. By finding each one, you will be able to fully understand exactly what happened in them.
Good luck on your trip to the Niwa Hotel!