Alfa Romeo – 1939 to 1949: the 6C 2500 as a post-war guideline – Autonews

Zapping Autonews Speeding: the cars most used by the police to track them down

Between 1939 and 1945, Alfa Romeo factories, like most car factories across Europe, were requisitioned to manufacture industrial products for the war effort. From the end of the world war, it was necessary not only to convert the main Portello factory again to civilian production, but also to rebuild it after its partial destruction during various bombings between 1943 and 1944.

Difficult to recover with an economy on its knees and without legal access to a sufficient quantity of raw materials. Alfa Romeo therefore had to supply itself on the black market and make do with the means at hand to relaunch the “machine”. It also involved the construction of a rewired but technically identical model to the pre-war 6C 2500, of which there were many parts left in the boxes. Thus, a handful of 6C 2500 Sports left the workshops of the Portello factory in 1945, while the number of cars manufactured climbed to 146 units the following year.

A six-cylinder in-line engine

Alfa Romeo 1939 to 1949 the 6C 2500 as - Alfa Romeo - 1939 to 1949: the 6C 2500 as a post-war guideline - AutonewsStart the slideshow
Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 | The photos of the beautiful Italian between 1939 and 1949
+5

6C 2500 Sport 1939 Credit Photo – Alfa Romeo

Until mass industrialization, mass production and the integration of body shops in automobile production plants, many chassis from small brands like Alfa Romeo were still distributed among different body builders who then built the the “dress” of cars. In 1946, however, a version will be manufactured entirely at the Milanese manufacturer’s Portello factory and will adopt the latest in-house aerodynamic developments: the Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Freccia d'Oro. On the mechanical side, the 2,443 cc six-cylinder fitted to all variants of the time developed a power of around 90 hp. The latter was transmitted to the rear wheels via a 4-speed manual gearbox. This allowed the car, whether bodied in a coupe, cabriolet or 4-door, to reach a top speed of 150 km / h.

Successful Marketing Before the Hour

1590176517 469 Alfa Romeo 1939 to 1949 the 6C 2500 as - Alfa Romeo - 1939 to 1949: the 6C 2500 as a post-war guideline - AutonewsStart the slideshow
Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 | The photos of the beautiful Italian between 1939 and 1949
+5

6C 2500 Sport Freccia d'Oro 1947Credit Photo – Alfa Romeo

At the Paris Motor Show in 1946, manufacturers from “defeated” countries were excluded from the event, but the famous bodybuilder Battista “Pinin” Farina had just created an Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Cabriolet and wanted to make it known and known. He intended to take advantage of the resumption of post-war growth to promote the Italian brand and its name at least on a European scale. The Milan automaker reports that the coachbuilder then stored his car in front of the entrance to the Grand Palais and that he parked it every night on the Place de l'Opéra for the duration of the Parisian event. The same technique was used for a coupe model with bodywork by Touring in Geneva that year. An early marketing punch that allowed the 6C 2500 to meet with some success. The different versions bodied by Italian craftsmen of genius met an audience of notable and wealthy customers. Many personalities of the time, including King Farouk of Egypt and Prince Rainier III of Monaco, drove in Alfa Romeo 6C 2500.

The 6C 2500 SS Villa d'Este

1590176517 194 Alfa Romeo 1939 to 1949 the 6C 2500 as - Alfa Romeo - 1939 to 1949: the 6C 2500 as a post-war guideline - AutonewsStart the slideshow
Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 | The photos of the beautiful Italian between 1939 and 1949
+5

6C 2500 SS Villa d'Este 1949Credit Photo – Alfa Romeo

The final variant of the 6C 2500, which forever associated the name of the prestigious Italian elegance competition with the vehicle, was the 6C 2500 SS Coupé “Villa d'Este”. It was one of the last Alfa Romeos to be built with a carrier chassis separate from the body. Each of the 36 copies produced followed the wishes of its owner and the inspiration of its bodybuilder. The version of Touring is the one that won the public prize “Grand Prix Referendum” at the Villa d'Este elegance competition in 1949, it stood out for some aesthetic specificities: the specific integration of its four lighthouses in the before, the pronounced cutting of its wings, its inclined windshield in two parts as well as its low and pronounced stern. A superb car that still inspires admiration thanks to its sculptural forms and the last copy of which was delivered in 1952.



Categories Cars

Leave a Comment